Fall Garden Planters put autumn colors on display
The summer season has come to an end, but your container garden doesn’t have to. There are many plants with beautiful blooms and foliage to enjoy as the season cools. Many of these plants change color through the fall months for a gorgeous, continually changing display.
When fall cleanup time comes around, it is the perfect opportunity to clean out your planters to prepare for new plantings. Visit your nursery and you will find a new seasonal selection of fall plants such as pansies, chrysanthemums, asters, violas, and for foliage, ornamental cabbage and kale. Vibrant warm, autumn colors are a refreshing change from summer colors.
Nurseries are broadening their selections for fall with plants like sedums such as “Autumn Joy” and ornamental grasses with their graceful tall spikes adding height and textural interest. Many herbs such as sage, lavender and rosemary also maintain attractive displays as the weather chills. Mix herbs with pansies or kale to create an interesting variation. Take advantage of a variety of textures to heighten the impact of the fall colors.
Re-pot Planters in the Fall
Fall is an excellent time to re-pot plants that have outgrown their planters. If roots are growing out of drainage holes, bottom leaves turn yellow or drop off, or the soil becomes faded, it’s time to re-pot. Re-potting in the fall provides optimal plant growth and freshens soil.
Tips on repotting and preparing plants for fall:
- Select a garden planter with drain holes that is one size larger than the original pot.
- Fill one-third of the new pot with premium potting soil.
- Remove the plant from the original container. If the roots are tightly wound, gently slice the sides of the root ball in two or three places with a trowel. Insert the plant into the new pot, filling with more potting mix and press lightly. Leave about an inch of space between the top of the potting mix and the lip of the pot, so water does not overflow.
- Water your planters thoroughly and allow to drain.
Your garden planters are ready to enjoy throughout the fall season.
Create a colorful Autumn Container Garden Display with the following plants:
• Phormium tenax ‘Atropurpureum’
• Salvia leucantha
• Chrysanthemum ‘Luciane’
• Chrysanthemum ‘Valerie’
• Lysimachia ‘Aurea’
• Bergenia ‘Autumn Glory’
• Viola x wittrockiana cvs.
• Euphorbia ‘Purpurea’
• Brassica oleracea ‘Redbor’
• Heuchera ‘Stormy Seas’
• Muhlenbergia dumosa
• Dahlia Powder Puff Mix
• Ornamental Grasses
• Pansy or Violas
• Ornamental Cabbage
• Ornamental Kale
• Weeping Norway Spruce
• Blue Colorado Spruce